American Airways’ much-anticipated Seattle to Bangalore route has been pushed again once more, with no deliberate launch date as of now. Seems to be like this route is now mainly again on the drafting board for some level sooner or later. Let’s focus on what we learn about this growth.
American Airways Seattle Growth
Again in February 2020, American Airways caught most of us ever because it was introduced that the airline can be constructing a world hub in Seattle. Up to now American has introduced plans to fly from Seattle to Bangalore, London and Shanghai, and all three routes have been initially scheduled to launch in 2021.
This growth got here as American started to cooperate extra intently with Alaska, because the Seattle-based airline additionally joined the Oneworld alliance by March 2021. Personally I discover the Seattle extension of American unusual, and I look ahead to seeing the way it works.
As you would possibly anticipate, the pandemic has delayed a few of American’s growth out of Seattle. The flight from Seattle to Bangalore was initially scheduled to start out in October 2020. Then it was delayed till October 2021, then to November 2021, then to January 2022, then to March 2022, and till now… to an unknown date sooner or later.
In a memo from the corporate, the airline has revealed that the Seattle to Bangalore flight will probably be additional delayed. The airline hasn’t eliminated the flight from its schedule but, however I anticipate the stock to be pulled through the subsequent schedule replace.
That is formally being attributed to the delay in Boeing 787 deliveries, though the truth is that if the route is sensible or is projected to be worthwhile, American will proceed with the route. That is very true when you think about that the airline simply introduced a brand new route from New York to Doha.
American Seattle to Bangalore Flight Particulars
Whereas it is nobody’s guess as to when or whether or not the route will debut, this is what the deliberate schedule for the Seattle to Bangalore service seems like:
AA180 Departures from Seattle to Bangalore 5:55 PM at 11:05 PM (+1 day)
AA181 Bangalore to Seattle Departure 1:45 AM 6:00 AM
The flight would cowl a distance of 8,112 miles, and the flight to India was deliberate to be intercepted at 16hr40min and from India at 16hr45min. American deliberate to make use of a Boeing 787-9 for the route, including 30 enterprise class seats, 21 premium financial system seats and 234 financial system seats.
I doubt the launch of this route
When American first introduced this route I believed it was shocking nevertheless it sort of is sensible. No different airline flew nonstop between the US and Bangalore, so American would have a bonus out there. A lot has modified within the meantime, although:
- United has introduced that it’ll fly day by day between San Francisco and Bangalore; It was initially to be launched in Might 2021, however has been delayed until Might 2022
- Air India introduced that it might fly between San Francisco and Bangalore as much as 2x weekly; This route has already been launched
It appears to me as if American was betting on United not with the ability to fly from San Francisco to Bangalore due to the space, as it’s simply over the 787-9 vary. Nevertheless, United found out a approach to modify their 787-9s to make this route attainable, presumably a lot to American’s dismay.
Why am I skeptical concerning the probabilities of American’s success right here? Pre-pandemic, this is what was in demand between Bangalore and the USA:
- San Francisco accounted for 17.7% of site visitors (probably the most of any US metropolis), accounting for greater than 200 commuters per day.
- Seattle accounted for 4.3% of the site visitors, accounting for about 50 passengers per day.
American depends on having loads of connecting site visitors, and possibly American anticipated it to get loads of San Francisco demand as nicely. However then United introduced the San Francisco to Bangalore route.
Whereas United’s route seems prefer it has a excessive probability of being profitable, I merely do not see the place the demand ought to come from with a view to make a US flight work, particularly when you think about that from many of the US apart from the West Coast, You will be flying fewer miles to Bangalore through Europe, somewhat than connecting to Seattle.
Sure, I believe Amazon and Microsoft are massive in Seattle, they usually have a giant presence in India as nicely. However pre-pandemic passenger numbers do not lie, and the mathematics would not add up till all passengers touring between Seattle and Bangalore are in paid enterprise class. Add to that the gradual tempo at which worldwide enterprise journey is recovering, and it could be fairly some time till we see 2019 passenger numbers for routes like this once more.
Will American hand over on the thought of its Seattle worldwide hub?
I am more and more questioning whether or not American is already holding again on its thought of turning Seattle into a large worldwide gateway. I am unsure a method or one other, however some ideas:
- With flights to Bangalore and Shanghai being indefinitely delayed, American’s solely long-distance service out of Seattle is to London; Given the Oneworld transatlantic three way partnership and the overall demand for journey between Seattle and Europe, it’s pretty simple to function with out a lot effort.
- Extra not too long ago American’s long-haul progress appears to be out of New York, with the airline launching flights to Delhi, Doha and Tel Aviv; I believe earlier than we have a look at Seattle to Bangalore route we are going to have a look at New York to Mumbai route
- No additional routes out of Seattle have been introduced; In equity, the plan was primarily for Seattle to turn into a transpacific gateway, and journey to Asia continues to be largely very troublesome.
- With American having retired the 757, 767 and A330 through the pandemic, it can in all probability be a number of years earlier than American could have as many extensive physique plane because it wants, so one has to marvel how Seattle’s growth was prioritized. will go
- Not less than traditionally the US has been unable to commit to only about any plan for an prolonged time period, so perhaps it is no totally different?
American Airways’ new flight from Seattle to Bangalore has been indefinitely delayed, so it is nobody’s guess when the route will really begin. Though that is formally attributed to the delay in Boeing 787 deliveries, it might have been a precedence if the route was worthwhile sufficient.
Personally I am not stunned to see this delay, and for that matter I query whether or not the route will ever begin. With United planning to introduce a San Francisco to Bangalore route (which American was not anticipating), demand for this route is questionable.
Do you suppose Individuals will begin flights to Bangalore?